In any case, how many can afford Musk's $200,000 flight ticket for tourists to get there? Maybe this was only a one way price. So, we reach Mars, what is the point? Walking on the Moon ended the Cold War, and this was worth $200 billion. But Mars? Billionaires missed the memo that said outer space has become obsolete for now.
Some mention space mining. But for what mineral? Others point to Stephen Hawking's prediction that we only have a century left before something terrible happens on Planet Earth. Business Insider reports on five reasons why we need to colonize Mars now:
- Ensure survival of our species. (Asteroids? Far-fetched. The last serious impact was 66 million years ago when the dinosaurs died off. We are supposedly now in a serious sixth extinction event, but I can't get too excited about the lethality.)
- Discover life on Mars. (We have failed so far with remote instrumentation, but if life is found, so what?)
- Improve quality of life on Earth (I miss this point).
- Growing as a species. (Huh? Going to Mars is an awfully expensive way to grow-up, in fact, sounds irresponsible to me.)
- Demonstrating political and economic leadership.
- Sustainable energy and resource pathways:
- rare earths
- much more
- New economic development.
- Attractive habitats for an alternative life style.
- Replenishment of fisheries.
- Prevention of hurricanes.
- Remediation of global warming.
I tried, even personally donated funds to show my commitment, and certainly haven't given up on finding a major benefactor. But perhaps you're better suited to involve that special tycoon. If so, you really don't need me. Go ahead, take the leadership role. Involve that billionaire to Save Humanity and Planet Earth with the Blue Revolution. Glad to be of service should you need any advice.
- Pierre Omidyar International Station (POI Station)
- Larry Ellison International Station (LEI Station)
- Leighton Chong (left, LKMChong@aol.com) directs the Hawaii effort, is a patent attorney and copyrighted Blue Revolution for our organization,
- Benny Ron (right, TetsuzanBennyRon@gmail.com) originally from Israel with a special zen association in Japan, is marshaling the session, and
- I (PatKenTak@hotmail.com) will give the talk.